Our Plans for the Joseph Hooker Bi-centenary 2017
.Joseph Dalton Hooker born 30th June 1817 in Brewery House now Hooker House Halesworth. We are determined not to let the bicentenary of Joseph Hooker’s birth go unmarked here in Halesworth and we want to have a focus weekend of events and exhibitions around 30 June 2017. Our plans for the Joseph Hooker bicentenary, shared with the Director of Kew Gardens, include:
- A special New Town Trail booklet on the Hookers with an inset on his Bicentenary with help from Kew. With further information on Joseph Hooker, Map of Park and trail, World map with Joseph’s Journeys and information on New plants names and information, as advised by Kew and specialist growers Guided walks weekend 30- 2nd July and Heritage Weekend 8-10th September & other times by arrangement
- Chelsea School of Botanical Art Exhibition of Botanical Art inspired by Joseph Hooker Friday Preview Friday 30th June, and open 1st - 19th July, Halesworth Gallery
- On Sunday July 2nd at 2.30pm at The Cut Arts Centre, In Association with Kew , a Presentation on Joseph Hooker by Virginia Mills Joseph Hooker Project Manager. An exhibition of Edgar Sewter School Children’s paintings Joseph Hooker and Paintings by Sally Marlow from live specimens of plants with Hooker nomenclature grown here in Halesworth followed by a Celebratory Tea.
- A coloured Montage on the window recess at the side of Hooker House with new planter and appropriate planting to mark the Bicentenary with layout provided by Kew. Unveiling at Noon Sunday 2nd July by Simon Barnes author, journalist and keen Naturalist
- New planting in the Joseph Hooker Memorial Garden; we already have 40 plants with the name Hooker within their nomenclature, which have green bar labels.
- Edgar Sewter Primary School Children (260) will walk the trail on the Hookers around the town prior to researching about him as a local hero during the Spring Term and will produce art work specially framed for a school exhibition. Selected pieces of art work will be on show at the CUT Arts Centre 2nd July
- Children’s imaginary portraits of Joseph and William Hooker will be on Exhibition in Halesworth Library -Library Children’s Sunday Activity Club
- An exhibition on Joseph Hooker in conjunction with the World Land Trust and the Linnaean Society and Kew.
- A Joseph Hooker Walk within our Green Flag Halesworth Town Park, with associated planting in association with Kew of Rhododendrons and other plants first brought back by Joseph Hooker
- Planting, with Anglia in Bloom and pupils from Edgar Sewter School of a memorial tree for Joseph Hooker – either Giant Redwood or Hooker Oak.
- Millennium Green ‘Scientific Camp’ Hooker Style in full dress with Flora and Fauna foray on Sunday am
- Fundraising Hooker Bicentenary Mugs and Tea Towels with pictures from Kew
- Accessing Sponsorship and other funding to Commission of A bronze/or resin life-size sculpture of Joseph Hooker for our Hooker Arboretum. Contacts to Hooker descendants via Kew
- Or Christopher Mills Former Director The Herbarium, Library, Art And Archives suggestion of £3000 copy of Kew Bust in Library & Archives Foyer.
- HIB Party attending Joseph Hooker Exhibition at KEW following Anglia in Bloom Judging 2017